Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Another day closer to being back in the states

I had an internal medicine rotation today. It wasn’t anything too dramatic or exciting except for the brief moment when I got to hear my first mitral regurgitation murmur. That was pretty cool. The rest was the standard stuff: history, physical exam, present to doctor, listen to doctor tell you what you missed, and the doctor then telling you everything relevant to the case. You learn at lot and retain it more than just reading about it in a book. We have four rotations this week, normally there would be only two, but our group is trying hard to get as many out of the way as soon as possible so we don’t have to go at exam time. Tomorrow we have another internal medicine then surgical/urology on Thursday and pediatrics on Friday! Perhaps we will get to see our little boy from last week. Word is that he was alive and at last notice he was going to get a CT scan to try and figure out why he is still disoriented.

Other things going on here, trying to tackle the numerous packets I have gotten. I think there is at the very least 1-2 inches of notes we got on Monday to be covered in addition to the massive packet for Hematology. I feel bad for all the trees that are dying for me to learn. I should start planting a tree for every day of lecture I have to compensate for the loss.

I sent in my preference for my clinical placement. Unfortunately, I won’t know the results for a few months and even then it won’t be 100% for sure. It is up to the sgu gods to decide, but I will be on the east coast (NY or NJ). I already am dreading the cold weather and wish there was a way to start thickening my blood so I won’t freeze to death when winter arrives next fall. It is bizarre to think that I might not be living in a third world country in the Caribbean for the rest of my life!!!!

No comments: