Friday, February 24, 2006

What holiday?

So this holiday from school we had today wasn't really a holiday. Simply a day without lectures. Word on the street is it is "Ed Johnson Day" (he is our dean here in St. Vincent). Everyone else on this island was going about their normal routine. I don't get why we had a day of no class today and are having night classes this next week (i.e. 6 hours of lecture in one day for the fourth time this term!!!). I'm not complaing, just confused! It was great to not have lecture but why can't they space it out????? No telling! Anyhow, it did allow us to go to the hospital for a surgery roation. We had heard rumors of the island rush hour and left early. Good thing because traffic was pretty backed up. On our way we also saw yet another accident, not sure what happened, the police were already on scene measuring stuff (it was next to the police station!). The surgery we saw was interesting. It was a male with an indirect hernia. That lasted about two hours.

We then headed to the police station to give our statements. It was an experience in itself. We waited for ages for the officer to arrive. When he finally came out, he was in street clothes (like he would wear just lounging around the house) and lead us in the back. I thought we would go into a room, nope. We went to the back of the buliding and he scrounged around for some seats (3 for 4 of us). I wish I had my camera. The area had a chicken running around the place and the desk he was using was an old desk with a piece of plywood on top. It was pretty funny to see. So after about 45 mintues we finally got to the writing of our witness statement. He took a sheet of paper and very slowly wrote out my statement as if I were writing it. This took forever. Meanwhile another officer took julie upfront to record her's. The officer kept asking me if I would live in St. Vincent (at least 5 times) and if I would marry a Vincentian and live here. Needless to say I didnt' feel like this was the appropriate conversation or pertinent to why I was there. I did find out that the case will go to court and the driver most likely will lose his license even though it was unavoidable. The officer claims that since we leave in May they will try to get the case heard before we leave. I doubt that will happen, but we shall stee. If it does, we'll be heading there. That will be quite a site to see. We weren't able to get any word on how the boy was doing, only that he was unconcious on arrival in the hospital. Perhaps we can find out when we go back to do our rotations next week.

To end the day, we three spent the evening having an amazing dinner at Mariner's French Veranda. Jenna and I split crab cakes (best crab cakes I think I have ever had) and my filet was delicious. We were all too full to even attempt the desserts. I hope to go back sometime soon. So happy to have found a great place to go.

We shall see what tomorrow brings......


1 comment:

Susi said...

Sounds like a typical small country police force. No money! At least they followed through. Thanks for updating us. So glad to hear you found a good place to eat. Keep up your good work. Love, Mom