Monday, April 03, 2006

Paradise Found

I am alive and well after the sailing trip. It was amazing. We left St. Vincent's Blue Lagoon on Friday AM and headed straight out to the Cays using both wind and motor to get us there before dark. It was a little rough in the areas where there wasn't an island to break the wind. I had no idea how many islands made up the Grenadines. The majority of them are uninhabited. I spent a bit too much time below decks getting all our stuff packed away and managed to feel sick (not get sick) on the way over. Once we arrive in the Cays about 4 ish we dropped anchor. There were lots of other boats anchored out too but we did find a place to ourselves. We then swam and snorkled. The water was crystal clear. It reminded me of Destin's East Pass near crab island. The reef we snorkled, Horseshoe Reef, is one of the longest barrier reefs in the Western Hemisphere. It was beautful. I saw loads of fish, different types of coral, stingrays and so many more things I don't know the name of. Since we had not eatten since breakfast, we cooked an early dinner. Spent the rest of the evening watching the stars pass and saw a few shooting stars too. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep well below deck and ended up finally getting out of bed at 6:30 AM to find a gorgeous day starting and some sea turtles swimming near the beach. Later that morning, we all headed over to Petite Tobac. It is an uninhabited island outside of the main grouping of islands. It was used in Pirates of the Caribbean (where Johnny Depp is dropped 0ff). White sands and palm trees and lots of shallow reefs. It was so pleasant. I could have spent all day there. I found lots of shells, urchins and a pefect conch shell buried in the sand. After this, we headed back to the boat. By this time the tide had fallen significantly to leave the highest parts of the reef exposed and perfectly calm waters. I went snorkling some more it was so clear though you didn't even need a mask you could see everything from above the water. I wish I could have spent more time there but we had to head back and sail to Bequia before nightfall. Pete and Sam fell in love with sailing. The captain taught them how to tack and Pete how to sail the open seas. We spent the night in Bequia and relaxed. I tried sleeping on deck that night but was awakened by a middle of the night rainshower and had to move below :( On Sunday midmorning, we headed out of Bequia and didn't even use our motor. We managed to sail all the way back with only windpower. I had a great time. I only wish we could have stayed longer!

I came home to find my sister, HB, had the baby on Friday. 6 pounds 11 ounces and 20 inches long with "long toes". She is doing well and the baby looks perfect from the pictures they sent.

Today we found out our prelimary hospital placements. I got my first choice and am very happy about it. Now I just have to finish the term (1 month and 11 days!) and then pass my boards and I'm set! I need to get cracking with the studying after my self declared week off.

2 comments:

Susi said...

What Joy! So glad you were able to get a taste of that beautiful ocean. Love, Mom

The Schlosser's said...

Outstanding!...and Congrats on your placement! Love, Angie