Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Safari

This is the start of my last week here in Zanzibar.

We just returned from at three day safari in Northern Tanzania (Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and Tangeire). It was beyond amazing. The lions and their cubs were awesome and so up close that there were about to come through our jeep window! The zebras and elephants were everywhere and more than you could even attempt to take pictures of. The giraffes were so tall and graceful. The flamingos where endless and created a blur of pink on all the lakes.We saw two black rhinos. We saw many, many more but I won't bore you with that. It didn't even seem real to see everything up close. I kept thinking I was on the scene of the Lion King. Of course, I took a ton of pictures which I can't wait to get back and upload.

Things have been going really well otherwise. I will be sad to leave. I also am proud to report that we have consistent water and power! We are finishing our last week at the hospital. Today we saw the older kids with some very interesting diseases. I must say being here as sure made me realize a lot of thing but especially how lucky I am for the excellent education I have gotten during residency. We had another child die last week and one over the weekend while we were gone. Still sad but the norm here.

Just before I fly back this weekend, we are going to go up north to another beach called Nungwi. There is another volunteer who lives up there we will get to visit and have show us around. Anyhow,  I will try to write more about the safari and other things later as the internet speed and access aren't great.

1 comment:

anita said...

Amazing!!