Thursday, January 25, 2007

Catching Babies
I am almost finished with my first week of my ob/gyn rotation. It is definetly keeping me busy. This week I was on clinic service. But last night, I got a new taste when I was on call for OB. It was my first overnight call since I started rotations in August. I spent 26 hours straight i
n the hospital (I went in on Wednesday at 9AM and didnt' leave till Thursday 11 AM.) Now, I am "post call" which means I had the rest of the day to sleep and dont' have to go in till Friday. It was a like a crash course in delievering babies. I got to take part in the delivery of one baby and was about 30 minutes short of a second when I had to go to morning lecture. The baby I did get to see born was my first delivery ever and I did almost start crying. It was a pretty moving experience. It was special to take part in bringing a new person into the world. I dont' think I could do ob as a career but I now see how rewarding it would be.

2 comments:

The Schlosser's said...

Gwin - What an awesome experience! Hope everything else is going well. Sure do miss you! Love, Angie

Anonymous said...

It's great to catch a baby, isn't? -- I will always remember catching Felix. We will all be back in Boston on March 10th. Plan to visit us soon after that. I think we will go to NY in April.
Nana